Keratosis pilaris is a common-yet-harmless skin condition which appears as small, hard bumps on your skin, that may make your skin feel like sandpaper. These bumps are often light in colour and can usually be seen on the upper arms, thighs or buttocks. They can also cause redness and swelling. The condition may also show up on the face but this is less common. Apart from some itching, keratosis pilaris is not painful and it won’t get worse if untreated. Many children and teens can experience keratosis pilaris and this usually disappears as they get older.
I get asked all the time, “what causes keratosis pilaris?” Put simply, it’s a build-up of keratin which is a natural protein found within the skin that protects it from infection as well as other harmful elements. This build-up forms a plug that blocks the openings of the hair follicle. Doctors aren’t sure why this happens and what triggers this build-up.
If you have dry skin, you’re more likely to develop keratosis pilaris and the condition is usually worse in winter, when there tends to be less moisture in the air. The condition can improve, significantly in the summer months. You might also suffer with keratosis pilaris if you have other dry skin conditions such as eczema (atopic dermatitis).
Diagnosing Keratosis Pilaris
The condition can be easily diagnosed here at Skin Perfection or by your GP and there is no specific testing required. It can be diagnosed by an expert by simply looking at your skin.
You can’t prevent keratosis pilaris but there are several things you can do to lessen its effects and to keep your skin comfortable:
- Keep your skin moist by generously using a non-comedogenic moisturiser.
- Use warm, not hot water for showering and limit bathing.
- Don’t scratch or rub your skin roughly.
- Try moisturising washes and soaps with added oils.
- Add moisture to the air in your home by using a humidifier.
Treating Keratosis Pilaris
There’s no cure for keratosis pilaris, but here at Skin Perfection in the heart of the West End of London, we offer two effective, safe and affordable treatments that can reduce or even remove the appearance of this annoying skin condition:
- Laser hair removal – a fast and effective way to permanently reduce unwanted hair, the root cause of keratosis pilaris. This highly-regarded treatment is suitable for all skin types and we use medical-grade technology for a fast, superior outcome.
- Medical microdermabrasion combined with Epionce Lite Refresh Peel – a deeply penetrating, resurfacing combined treatment to clears and cleans blocked and congested pores. This effective treatment uses two different techniques to slough away dead skin cells, dirt and debris to allow the skin to regenerate more effectively and produce a healthy cell turnover.
Before any treatment here at Skin Perfection, we will offer a no-obligation consultation to ascertain your individual skin concern and create a bespoke treatment for optimum results. We may use one or more procedures to offer you the most effective treatment plan, to give you a healthier skin appearance and a smoother, more comfortable skin sensation.
Booking a consultation with my team
Suffering with keratosis pilaris? Get in touch with my team today to discuss treatment options here at Skin Perfection London. We look forward to seeing you.